Matava’s dedication to Responsible Tourism is the driving force behind our Environmental Policy. Far from being an abstract ideal for us, Responsible Tourism shapes all our major decisions – from the concept that ‘Small Groups Leave Fewer Footprints’ to the choice of contractors and suppliers. Here are our guidelines in a nutshell.
Please see below the key principles or code of conduct for operating ‘Responsible’ Matava adventures:
- Use locally owned infrastructure for accommodation and transport.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- When recruiting our staff and crew, we assess their environmental credentials and then train them to our own standards.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe trips for Matava, Mad Fish and Bite Me staff, crew and guests.
- Educate guests and local people about how we travel.
- Limit the negative impacts to daily lifestyles of local people not involved with Matava adventures and expeditions
- Issue our guests with clear guidelines on responsible tourism. These cover a variety of issues from litter and waste disposal in remote areas, to begging and artefacts. We encourage customers to buy local crafts and support local skills, but never to buy products that exploit wildlife or the harm the habitat.
- Limit the physical impact of trips in all destination communities – particularly sensitive natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities around Matava and visited by Matava expeditions and adventures.
- Provide fun enjoyable trips to Matava guests.
- Provide opportunities for guests to interact with local people.
- Actively discourage the participation of Matava in activities which exploit animals – wild or domestic.
- Use local operators that adhere to Matava ‘s Responsible Travel
- Philosophies and provide the best possible service to Matava guests and staff.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our guests the best possible value.
Matava is committed to a style of travel that is environmentally, culturally and socially responsible – the adventure travel industry has called this commitment ‘Responsible Travel’. With your participation we aim to operate in a way that conserves the areas we visit and bring positive benefits to local communities.
Our adventure style:
- Grass roots travel using local public transport where possible – minimises demand for special tourist vehicles and fuel.
- We choose locally owned accommodation where available and local restaurants and markets for dining, retaining revenue in local communities.
- Our Directors facilitate communication of our values to guests and local communities, educating them in sustainable tourism practices.
- We employ local crew and guides to aid in guests’ understanding of local culture and etiquette.
- Small groups allow guests to experience cultures at first hand, offering greater opportunity for cross- cultural understanding.
We are committed to putting back into the communities and regions we visit by supporting many aid, development and conservation projects in these areas. Much of this support is through The Matava Foundation and guests are invited to contribute.
My job is to monitor our current practices and develop sustainable tourism programmes so that we can all enjoy the Fiji Islands for many years to come.
Our Directors and staff play an important role, implementing our philosophy and coordinating projects in the field.
Matava ‘s passion for travel goes beyond the yearning for discovery and adventure. Ours is a reasoned, tried and tested approach to the enjoyment of a truly amazing planet.
Director & Responsible Tourism Coordinator