The Great Fiji Butterfly Fish Count in November 2010 is a great opportunity for Matava guests to get involved in celebrating and recording an aspect of Fiji’s amazing coral reef biodiversity, show we all care about the world’s delicate coral reef systems, and have fun, by taking part in a week-long hunt for the Great Fiji Butterflyfish.
Click here to find out more about our Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count Package to the Fiji Islands today and see all the mantas and pristine tropical reefs on Mad Fish Dive Centre’s dive boats on the Great Astrolabe Reef on Kadavu!
Easy to do, this is suitable for all our guests, whether they be a snorkeler or SCUBA diver. Tourists, school children, scientists and all people with an interest in the marine environment can take to the reefs to search for Butterflyfish.
Based on Scientific Survey Techniques, and specially printed underwater identification slates, Butterflyfish will be identified and counted over all the regions of Fiji. The Count itself will take up 30 minutes of a normal SCUBA dive or Snorkel. Participants mark each fish as they see them on their ‘Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count’ waterproof slate.
Results will be then be written up onto paper sheets in the afternoons, and then the dive staff will enter onto a computer spreadsheet, and send to the Fiji Reef Check and Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network Coordinator for analysis.
Reports and a distribution map of Butterflyfish Abundance and Diversity will be placed on the official The Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count website, and will also contribute to several important projects such as the Fiji Coral Reef Monitoring Network annual report, and the Fiji Biodiversity Inventory.
The Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count will be held all over the Fiji Islands, and participants can do a single count or many on different reefs. All data will be included!
Sign up for our Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count Package
- 5 day of 2 tanks diving (10 dives) with Mad Fish Dive Centre
- All day free access to shore diving at The Critter Junction
- 7 nights in Oceanview Traditional Bure
- Free ID slates for The Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count for you to keep
- 3 afternoon presentations covering The Great Fiji Butterflyfish Count ID and coral reef ecology of The Great Astrolabe Barrier Reef
- Guided science dives to complete The Great Fiji Butterflyfish Counts
- A chance to support scientific data collection to support the Fiji Coral Reef Monitoring Network
- Guided village waterfall walk
- Traditional Lovo Feast
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, unlimited tea/coffee)
- Airport and boat transfers to/from Kadavu airport
Also ask about adding on Air Pacific flights.
We can quote you inclusive fares LAX to Kadavu.
Book your Learn to Dive Package at Matava Now!
Click here to book your Learn to Dive Package in the Fiji Islands today and see all the mantas and pristine tropical reefs on mad Fish Dive Centre’s dive boats on the Great Astrolabe Reef on Kadavu!